Monday, March 22, 2010

Happy to be Homeschooled

As a homeschooler I am asked questions like; “Can’t a busy household get distracting?” “What about a lack of socialization?” “How are you going to get your diploma?” and “Do you want to go to academy?” I have also heard from peers my age, “Oh I wish I was homeschooled” and “You’re so lucky!” Whether others think that we homeschoolers have the day spent leisurely doing our own pleasure, I don’t know. But what is being homeschooled like, and why am I content to be homeschooled?

One reason why I love homeschooling is because I can choose what I study. If a curriculum isn’t a good match for me, I can switch to another one that, for example, is more of a challenge. I can be creative, and explore areas that catch my interest. I can also go at my own pace, going faster – or slower according to my abilities, without being pressured by and compared to my peers.

I do not suffer from a lack of socialization, and I have many opportunities to interact with people of all ages. Best of all, I (and my parents) can choose who I want to associate with, and our families get together and we build friendships.
Because of the savings due to staying at home, my family can afford music lessons, and I love the opportunity to learn and practice music.

I also love homeschooling because I’m learning not only the academic work, but how to keep a home, take care of the animals, watch the children, clean the house, and prepare lunch. These are valuable skills that will aid me in keeping my own home someday. I have freedom to spend more time with my family, and to cultivate lasting relationships with them.

This month I will be joining a Bible Worker, and going door-to-door to plant seeds for an evangelistic series. I am very thankful I can adjust my schedule and not miss out on great opportunities like these.

Because of the busy household revolving around me, I have learned to focus with distractions of younger children, etc., going on around me. If for some reason I can’t handle the distraction, I can always go upstairs to my room and study in solitude.

As other young people are enrolled in academy, my mother asks, “Would you like to go to academy too?” but my answer is always the same. I am happy and content with my life now, I love being homeschooled, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything else.

“[Jesus] education was gained directly from the Heaven-appointed sources; from useful work, from the study of the Scriptures and of nature, and from the experiences of life, - God’s lesson-books, full of instruction to all who bring to them the willing hand, the seeing eyes, and the understanding heart." Education pg. 77

No comments:

Post a Comment

On Trial in my Workplace

The Lord knew that I needed a job. Soon to be freshly married at the tender age of 20 years, I clearly remember the day of my interview ...